I love those small occurrences. Those things that may not be major but can brighten up your day.
Here are a few of the small things which make me smile:
1. Service with a smile. I really like it when you go to a shop, pick out something nice to buy, go to pay for it at the till and the person serving you is happy, smiley, friendly. Like they’re happy to be there and happy to help you. They don’t even have to make much conversation – just a genuine smile and cheerful polite voice is enough to have me walking away smiling myself.
2. Unintentional compliments. When people mention things which, to them, is merely a friendly passing statement but, to you, seems like a complete compliment. A couple of years ago, someone once said to me “You look like someone who likes Doctor Who” but they couldn’t explain why. This was a huge compliment to me because I love Doctor Who. During high school, someone said to me “You’re like an anime character.” And I do like anything cartoony, including anime, so again, this was such a compliment! I felt so happy!
3. Friendly strangers. Those accidental conversations you have with someone who just happens to be there. They happen when you’re stuck in a queue, sitting by the waiting area or even when delivering a parcel for a neighbour! I’m a reserved kind of girl and not at all brave enough to initiate a conversation with a stranger ‘just because’ but I’ll always welcome it if someone else does – in these times when we’re taught to be cautious of people we don’t know, it’s nice to be reminded that there are some very friendly people out there in the world!
4. People with wonderful energy. I found this one hard to put into words. Those people who are energetic, expressive and somewhat zany. Those who don’t mind being a bit flamboyant or dramatic. They somehow emit huge positive energy waves. There is a presenter on a Sunday night TV programme who makes me smile constantly purely from watching his bouncy and almost child-like personality. Seeing them brightens me up, but being around them is something else! They have the most infectious, most contagious energy!
5. Happy or inspiring quotes. I started sharing quotes on my blog because sometimes words are put together in such a way that it impacts us. They can be written in a way that’s poetic. Or they can just be written simply, as they are. For me, the best quotes are the ones that make me go “oh, I totally get that.” I love when I hear or read the words and instantly feel connected with them. It’s nice to know there’s someone else out there who feels or thinks the same way you do. It’s nice to know you’re not alone in that.